Work With Us
|Position Title:||Artist Outreach Coordinator|
|Job Type:||Part-Time (16 hours/week), Monday-Friday. Some evening and weekend hours required|
|Location:||2900 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113|
|Posted:||December 4, 2018|
SPACES is the resource and public forum for artists who explore and experiment. In 2017 we opened our new home in a highly visible and easily accessible location in the Hingetown area of Ohio City, where we serve more artists and audience members than ever before.SPACES is a 501(c) 3 not-for-profit organization with an annual operating budget of approximately $700,000. The staff includes 5 full-time employees, 2 part-time employee, 5 contracted employees, and numerous interns and volunteers who provide ongoing support throughout the year. A 20-member Board of Directors reflects a diverse range of expertise and perspectives.
SPACES seeks an outgoing, dynamic Artist Outreach Coordinator to manage collaborative working relationships with the artist community in Cleveland and beyond. The Artist Outreach Coordinator will build on existing initiatives and develop new projects that connect a broad cross-section of cultural producers to the organization, outside of our exhibition and residency programs. This is a grant-funded position that expands on the services we offer artists by providing a liaison for those who are interested in utilizing SPACES as a creative resource. The Artist Outreach Coordinator reports to the Executive Director and Deputy Director, and is part of the programming department.
- Manage two new regrant opportunities that distribute project-based funds directly to artists, including marketing the opportunities; coordinating the application and panel review processes; developing community support for the artists and their projects; and consulting on production, helping to secure a public display space, and fostering the public’s engagement with the work; tracking expenditures; ensuring the artists’ compliance with their contracts; and collecting project documentation.
- Ensure local artists feel closely connected to the organization by utilizing all available tools and resources (SPACES blog and social media platforms, SPACES events, etc).
- Provide outreach to local artists who are interested in using SPACES as a community resource (art production facilities, studio, shared desk space, etc.), and coordinate usage with other SPACES staff.
- Work with programming staff to develop outreach and artist professional development events.
- Coordinate interns, work-study students and volunteers in assisting with artist projects.
- Assist SPACES Deputy Director with project-based fundraising efforts by compiling data, written material, and video/images for grants and reports.
- Help coordinate Monster Drawing Rally and Annual Benefit, in cooperation with staff, board, and committee members.
- Suggest artists for, and organize their participation in, fundraisers (MDR, benefit, ad hoc events, Season Pass events).
- Assume additional responsibilities as needed in a small office setting.
QUALIFICATIONS:The ideal candidate will have a well-developed sense of priorities and initiative; ability to work in the fast pace of a medium-sized nonprofit organization with discretion; creative problem solving capabilities; and strong interpersonal skills, including sensitivity to cultural differences. Attention to detail and the ability to multitask are vital, as is the ability to follow through with a variety of projects that require both immediate attention and ongoing care. The candidate will have experience in developing and maintaining community relationships so that they may act as an advocate and organizer for the artists and their projects. Project management experience and an arts-related background are preferred and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and G Suite is necessary. The candidate must have an enthusiasm for supporting bold experimentation in the visual arts.
No phone inquiries, please. Submit cover letter, resume, and 2 work references in a single PDF file to SPACES Executive Director Christina Vassallo at cvassallo@SPACESgallery.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
SPACES is an equal opportunity employer. Our employment policies are administered without regard of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, or any other legally protected status except as permitted by law.
If you are interested in becoming involved with SPACES as a volunteer or work/study intern, please visit this link.